The Great Hubbly Bubbly








The GHB, later revealed to be the Great Hubbly Bubbly, was a hectic scavenger hunt that lead us all around Oxford.


When we found ourselves getting peckish, we ducked into Mission Burrito. I was weary to say the least because I'd heard war stories of faux Mexican food scaring away even the boldest of eaters while in England. However, I'd been reassured time after time that the food was magnificent.

Looking back, I probably should have heeded the warning of my Mexican roots. 




The atmosphere was reminiscent of a Chipotle done mom and pop style. You walked passed glass cases, picking and choosing what you wanted. I figured I'd play it safe and got the vegetarian rice bowl, while Alexis went for a burrito. The food wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't anything to write home about. 




The rice could've been softer, the veggies could've been more finely cut, and, from what I heard, the burrito could've been a little bit more securely wrapped. This isn't to say the food was a total loss. The flavors were outstanding. Being Mexican myself, I always use my 'Would Abuelita Approve?' scale. I think my abuela would be taken aback but not totally put off. 

Of course, we had to pick up shakes at Moo Moo's and I got my iconic Camp Coffee flavored shake. 

We continued on our way, determined to win... or at least I was. My inner leader hopped out and we went to every single site, completing all of the challenges, never settling. At our last stop, we had to get a picture of our favorite flavor at G&D's. 




When I walked inside and made my way to the case of ice cream tubs, I was saddened to see that there was no more Gold Mine, the flavor I had grown to love. So after scanning the selection, I settled on Oxford Blue, a peculiar looking blueberry ice cream. I'd never had blueberry ice cream before, but it was absolutely incredible. 

We made our way to the final location, a play house, where we watched a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, and I'm afraid to report that I might have dozed off a little once the craze of the day caught up to me.

When all the points were tallied, and my team was ahead over sixty points, I knew I could rest easy. 

Alexis might have been ready to go back to campus, but I was in no hurry to head back. Cue India, my other dear friend. We decided we'd walk around a while and find somewhere to eat. Café after café, and nothing seemed to pique our interest. Our legs were getting tired and our stomachs began to grumble. "How about Pizza Hut?" I joked.




And that's how India and I found ourselves in a sit down Pizza Hut that screamed... elegance? It was nothing like the stores I'd stopped in back in America and I absolutely loved it. We even had all you can eat salad which was surprisingly delicious. While I had initially refused to eat American food while abroad, I ultimately didn't mind my cheating all that much.  

Comments