The Secret Garden








Looking for an adventure, a handful of girls accompanied us on our daily lunch outing. The restaurant of the day: Organic Deli.





We followed our normal path, headed to Cornmarket Street. But then, thanks to google maps, we turned down a little alley. At first, it seemed rather odd. But as we journeyed, we passed bars and exotic restaurants galore. Then, all of the sudden, there it was, Organic Deli. Right outside, there was a stand overflowing with fresh produce and a little bistro table set. Upon walking inside, I was unsure what to look at. There was a long letter board showing off the cafe's well-rounded menu, a case of fresh pastries, and a wall of organic products for sale. 

We stood there, mouths slightly agape, trying to figure out where to start. The general mood of our outing was rather brunch-like, so I zoned in on the all day breakfast options. Once my eyes spotted the word 'avo,' I knew we'd made a good choice in lunch venues. The only downside is that there were no descriptions on the menu. However, I'm not sure I'd quite call it a downside. The vague menu allowed for conversation and made the whole process feel so much more warm and personal. 

I stepped up the the till first (I'm absolutely in love with the lingo here). 'So what exactly is the avo awesome?' I inquired. The answer? Two pieces of toast, each with mashed avocado, classic thickly cut bacon, and a poached egg to top it off. Sold! I also nabbed a bottle of ChariTea red rooibos cold brew tea. 

Another charming thing about the cafe was that you paid at the very end of you visit, allowing you to give into the temptation of those delectable pastries. While I'm not sure if this is commonplace in other places, I rather enjoyed it. I felt as if there was no rush and that I was just there to enjoy the food. 

As I waited for all of my friends to order, I began thinking of where we would sit. The little tables in the main room wouldn't hold us all so I figured we could climb up the old, steep stairs that seem to be everywhere in Oxford and investigate the seating on the first floor (that's British for second level). But then, as if by fate, I notice a little door, leading out of the cafe. Just outside it, a brick wall painted in a cheery teal color and a block letter sign that read 'The Secret Garden.' I don't think I've ever come as close to that cheesy cartoon swoon as I had in that moment. It was perfect. I ventured out the door and there was a little alley, covered with a clear awning to protect you from the elements, a cheery paint color that enhanced that brick facade, and hanging plants everywhere. It truly did feel like a secret garden, a safe haven of sorts to retreat to. Had we more time, I would've loved to have pulled out an old book with crisp pages while sipping a freshly made, artisan latte, basking in the wonder of my surroundings. 

But don't let me get too carried away. I turned the corner and found a long, farmhouse table with an old bench and seats around it. Utterly perfect. I walked back in to the cafe and told everyone I found the perfect place to eat. My friends all share in the awe as we strode out back, table marker in hand, ready to enjoy our food.




The food came out gradually, signaling it was made in a homey sort of way which I didn't mind at all. My dish came out last and boy was it worth the wait. I dove in, unsure if I should use silverware or just pick the whole thing up (I ended up compromising and doing a little of each). The toast was crisp and never managed to become soggy under the monstrous pile on top. The avocado spread resembled more of a guacamole with diced onion and tomato thrown in but I didn't mind. The bacon was thick and, though a little difficult to eat, complimented the dish well. Lastly, the poached egg, which was cooked to perfection. The whites of the egg enveloped the yolk completely and were cooked well enough to avoid that snotty run off some eggs exhibit unfortunately. Once cut open, the yolk oozed slowly out, coating the dish in a luxurious manner. It wasn't so runny as to create a complete mess, but cooked well enough that the yolk hadn't hardened and become immobile. 

We chatted and ate and laughed and I felt as if I belonged in some rom-com, living my best life in a quaint little city I'd come to love so much. Once we gradually finished our food, I suggested we bring in our plates since that table was rather out of the way. This small act elicited a big smile from the lady manning the till. We each told her what we had ordered and paid. We then headed on our merry way, obviously making a stop at Moo Moo's. 

Organic deli is the perfect place for a delicious bite to eat at a reasonable price. It's not a fast option if that's what your looking for, but the slower pace is half the charm. We managed to get in and out and explore Oxford for a while, still making it back in plenty of time for our afternoon classes. 




Comments