First Stop






First day in England and not a single goal accomplished...

Understandably so because the Bucket List was born late at night when all the Oxford storekeepers had gone home. Also, doing anything on an hour and a half of sleep and being many hours ahead of your natural time zone tend to make one unmotivated. 

However, after finishing morning classes, we found ourselves famished, so to speak, and ready to eat. The only question was, where? We closely resembled doe-eyed deer caught in the headlights upon our arrival in town, so naturally, we followed our RA to Boots, home of the Three Pound Meal Deal.

Now for my fellow Americans, this can be quite confusing. Three pounds of food? Doesn’t
sound too appealing unless you plan on slipping into a food coma. After a furrowed brow or two, we soon discovered that it was in fact referring to three pounds (£3/ $3.78) Makes one nostalgic for an old fashioned five dollar foot long, no?

After passing makeup, lotion, and toiletries galore, I was skeptical of finding a decent meal to tide me over. Then, tucked away in the back of the store, were refrigerators stocked with on-the-go food options perfectly meeting anyone’s want and needs. I myself grabbed a BLT (only to find out they had substituted chicken in the place of my beloved bacon), a bag of salty, salt and vinegar baked crisps (thank you England, that’s a snack I didn’t know I needed) and a bottle of mango juice. Alexis picked out a chicken tikka wrap, carrot sticks and an immune boosting smoothie, which was smart after spending all that time in recirculated air.

Our opinion? 

Well, we never formally sorted out a system, but I’ve deemed it three out of five stars. Boots’ three pound meal deal is just what it claims to be. It’s great when on a tight budget or when you're in a hurry, but it left me wanting just a little more. 

This is not to say that I feel any animosity towards Boots. In fact I’ve fallen in love with the shop so much I tried to sign up for a reward card. Tragically, I was turned down given that I didn’t have an address to pick up my Boot’s card at. 

Final note, the bottle of zingy raspberry and pomegranate hand wash I picked up when we were there for only £0.75 ($0.95) is a fabulous addition to our standard dorm bathroom severely lacking in soap *cough cough*




Comments