Castle-Worthy Confections







Before heading out for our weekend excursion, Alexis and I decided to head into town and do some sight-seeing.

Every time we passed through Broad Street, we were tempted by this tiny little food truck, Crepes O Mania. In theme with our time in Oxford, we asked ourselves, 'why not?'




We each ordered mini Nutella crepes, wanting a chocolaty fix but not wanting to spoil our lunch.

What we learned: always have cash when ordering from small vendors- they don't really appreciate it when you pay three pounds with a card. 

With this said, the crepes were wonderful! They were soft and well cooked, not chewy like I've experienced before. And obviously the Nutella was a plus. But most of all, I appreciated the small portion because it allowed you to stroll down the street, crepe in hand, fulfilling your peckish desires without over-indulging. My only complaint  was that the mini crepes only came in Nutella. While I'm not one to pass on anything with Nutella, it would've been nice to have had more small portion options. 

Once we returned to the campus, it was just about time to board the bus and head to Broughton Castle. After a slightly hellish bus ride (the poor bus driver kept missing the turn over and over again), we arrived at one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. 

We explored the luscious gardens and took countless pictures of ourselves... and the scenery (hey, we're teenage girls in a pretty place, what do you expect). We even got to meet the Lord of the castle who was dressed surprisingly in a pair of blue jeans and was immensely down to earth. After that, we toured the castle, exploring hundreds of years of history with our own eyes.

To finish off the excursion, we meandered through the gift shop and got a bite to eat at the adorable little cafe on the grounds. 




Alexis and I ordered the freshly made scones with clotted cream and little pots of jam. Our banter ranged from the history of the castle, the fact that the Lord of the castle is related to Ralph Fiennes (yes, the Dark Lord himself) and the discourse of cream or jam first. We both agree cream first though on a separate occasion, India and I agreed cream on one side and jam on anther is still acceptable.

The scones were warm and just slightly crumbly, almost melting in your mouth and the dried fruit complimented it well. I also continued my quest to find decent lemonade (and failed), so I sat there and stared at Monica's pot of tea, wishing I had got some for myself.

Comments